Dog Drank Soapy Water: Here’s What to Do Now


Well, soap or detergent powder is one of the products, which is harmful to both pets as well as humans. If a bit of it went into your eyes, you will start screaming. Then just imagine how your furry pal can deal with it if he ingests soap bars, detergent powder, or soapy water.

So, after listening to so many cases regarding dogs getting attracted to soaps and trying to drink or lick them. We decided to conduct a survey and concluded basic and important health-related points.

Dog drinks soapy water
Photo by Alexander Pytskiy on iStock

Without wasting more time, let’s dig in to know the consequences of ingesting soapy water/ detergent powder. And look after the prevention step to save your fido’s health from getting in danger.

Your Dog Drank Soapy Water: Should You Be Worried?

As per the survey, it has been observed that dogs suffering from PICA, often crave inedible products, such as clothes, shoes, furniture, etc.

PetMD states, “Pica is a condition in which dogs crave and eat non-food items. Some dogs may only eat one type of object, while others will eat a wide variety of items. Pica can endanger a dog’s health because what they swallow may be toxic, disrupt normal digestive process, or get lodged in their intestinal tract.[1]

soapy water
Photo by Margarita Mindebaeva on Shutterstock

Well, soap/detergent powder is also one of its favorite inedible products, which they easily get attracted to taste it.

If your pooch is suffering from PICA disorder, or out of curiosity, get attracted by the smell of soap water/ detergent powder has ingested it even in small quantity.

Then, my friend, you have to take him to the vet immediately for treatment because ingesting powder or soap water is poisonous to his health.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435.

Types of Soapy Water and Its Consequences

Any kind of soap or detergent is not good for your dog’s health. So, you have to be very careful when it comes to parenting a dog and give training to him to stay away from toxic products.

Here is the bifurcation of the soap/ detergent category. Which will explain to you in detail about the toxic level of different types of soap or powder used in day-to-day work.


It’s a fact, dogs do get attracted to soap bars, normal soap liquids which are used in household work. Well, these soaps are also not good for your fido, if he drinks soap water, or ingests soap bar/liquid powder, it can cause him vomiting sensation, diarrhea, digestive function issues, and other stomach-related issues.

Photo by micheile on unsplash


The cationic detergent category includes powder, which is formulated for fabric softness, disinfections, rust removal, sanitizers, etc. It is one of the hazardous powders considered when it comes to pets.

If your pooch ingested even in small quantity, he has to face severe health complications such as vomiting, depression, collapse, seizures, can also damage mucous membranes, etc. It can even lead to detergent poison cases and can be dangerous for your fido’s life.

Anionic detergents

The anionic detergents are considered one of the most damaging powders, and dangerous for your furry pal. This category includes powder, which is specially formulated for electric dishwasher machines, or laundry machines. The chemicals used in the formulation of these powders are highly toxic in nature.[2]

Anionic detergents
Photo by ajaykampani on iStock

If accidentally he ingests these powders it can burn his mouth and esophagus, and he won’t be able to eat anything. Plus, he can also suffer from severe abdominal pain, which can lead to other health complications.

Non-ionic detergents

The non-ionic detergents include mild laundry detergents, utensil washing bars, and shampoos, which doesn’t contain chemicals in large quantity. They are less toxic to your furry pal as compared to other soaps available on the market.

However, it’s not like your dog will not face any health issues if ingested non-ionic detergents, he will show up with mild skin reactions, and respiratory issues.[3]

Can Soapy Water Be Poisoning Your Dog?

Yes, ingesting/drinking soap bars, detergent, or soapy water can lead to health complications, even if it is consumed in small quantities.

soapy water poisoning
Photo by MPH Photos on Shutterstock

This is because it is something, which is formulated with a lot of chemicals and can be dangerous for your fido’s health. For instance, it can extensively damage your pooch’s eyesight, skin reaction, digestive tract imbalance, or mucus membrane.

Plus, you may notice the following symptoms if your fido has ingested soapy water, soap bar, or detergent.

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Lack of appetite
  • Tummy swelling
  • Gastrointestinal lesions
  • Eye infection
  • Drooling
  • Muscle pain
  • Skin issues
  • Dull coat
  • Collapse
  • Seizures

If your dog shows up with any of the symptoms, it is suggested to contact the vet for better treatment. Also, note that symptoms vary according to the quantity ingested by an individual canine. Plus, if you have an idea your fido has ingested which soap, enclose it to the vet for better knowledge.

What to Do if My Dog Drank Soapy Water?

So far we have observed that ingesting soap bars, detergent, or drinking soapy water is not safe for your fido’s health. It leads to health complications, plus can cause soap poison, which can even threaten your pup’s life.

Dog consumes soapy water
Photo by Obradovic on iStock

It’s very important to keep an eye on your fido’s eating habits. And if earlier you have noticed that he is attracted to soap smell, train him it is not a good habit to ingest it by giving a command.

Initially, he will not understand it’s your job to remain strict and stop him whenever he tries to ingest or drink soap bar/soapy water. Apart from training him, make sure all the detergents, soap bars, and soapy water should be kept in a hidden place or out of your fido’s reach.

However, if your pooch has already ingested a soap bar or drank soapy water. Well, in that case, you have to take action according to the symptoms his body display. If your fido is showing up with symptoms like severe stomach ache, swollen tongue/cheeks, digestive issues, or vomiting.

In such a case, it is suggested to take him to the vet for speedy treatment to avoid further health complications. They will check thoroughly and prescribe treatment accordingly. If your fido has drunk soapy water in large quantity they will try to flush out soapy water through running water, or make him vomit.

Then they will conduct a medical test to examine the toxicity level of the soapy water, and further treatment will be conducted as per requirement.


What happens if my dog lick dish soap?

Well, ingesting, or licking any type of soap is not good for your fido’s health. It can lead to soap poisoning and display symptoms such as stomach aches, tongue swelling, digestive dysfunction, etc.

How long does it take for a dog to show poisoning?

As per the survey, it has been observed that it solely depends upon the toxic level. Sometimes reactions will be right away, while others might take a few hours or even a day to display the poisoning sign. In the case of soap poison, it might take one or two days to show up.

Why do dogs lick soapy water?

Apart from medical theories such as nutritional deficiency, suffering from anxiety or depression. Well, other reasons could be that he just likes the smell of the soap, and it simply gives him joy eating, licking, or drinking soap or soapy water.

Well, It’s a Wrap!

When you are parenting a pet, you have to be very careful even about small household products. This is because something that is normal for you can be dangerous for your furry pal.

As we have already seen tiny soap bar can be so dangerous for your fido’s health if he accidentally ingests it, licks, or drink soapy water.

Health complications such as tummy swelling, vomiting, eye infection, drooling, collapse, or other related stomach related issues.

Note:- If you observe any such symptoms which we have discussed, or you have a doubt your fido must have ingested soap. Then in such cases make sure you do not force him to vomit, let the vet do their work, and inform them for better treatment.


  1. Roberts, B. Toxic Food Dogs Cannot Eat The Ultimate Guide!.
  2. Costarelli, V. (2009). Bile acids as possible human carcinogens: new tricks from an old dog. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition60(sup6), 116-125.
  3. Hsiao, L., Dunning, H. N., & Lorenz, P. B. (1956). Critical Micelle Concentrations of Polyoxyethylated Non-ionic Detergents. The Journal of Physical Chemistry60(5), 657-660.